Art and Design
We recognise that Art and Design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children of all abilities to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes.
We encourage children to explore ideas and meanings through the work of a range of artists and designers. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
At Martin Frobisher Infant School, we use the National Curriculum and the Early Years’ Foundation Stage Curriculum as a basis for our planning within the subject, although we see this as only one element in the education of our children. Whenever possible, we teach through a themed, experienced based approach to enable children to embed learning and make connections, leading to a greater depth of understanding within the subject. Our teaching and learning opportunities allow all children to consolidate, build upon and apply basic skills. Our curriculum aims run through everything we do, as we strive to provide the very best learning experiences for our children.
We use our Key Objective Progression and Development by Year group to support skill and knowledge progression from Nursery through to Year Two. We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- have the opportunity to record from first-hand experience and from imagination.
- develop opportunities to select their own ideas for use in their work.
- develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities.
- develop the ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures.
- develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials.
- foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
What do children say about geography at Martin Frobisher Infant School?
"I love to play around with colour and make more colours" - Reception child
"I really like sketching because it's nice and relaxing" - Year 1 child
"My favourite thing about art is when I choose myself what to colour with" - Year 1 child
"I feel proud of my art work when I take time to edit it" - Year 2 child
If you have any questions about the teaching of Art and Design at Martin Frobisher Infant School, please speak to your child's teacher or Mrs Ramsden (Art and Design Leader)