In Foundation Stage teachers plan the mathematics curriculum from the Statutory Requirements for the Foundation Stage. This involves providing children with a range of opportunities to develop and improve their skills in counting, understanding and using numbers, calculating simple addition and subtraction problems; and to describe shapes, spaces, and measures across a range of provision areas both indoors and outdoors.
Key Stage 1
In Key Stage 1 teachers plan from the national curriculum. The national curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including the varied and regular practice of increasingly complex problems over time.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, understanding relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions
In Key Stage 1 our maths curriculum has number at the heart of it. Teachers spend a large proportion of time reinforcing number to build competency and understanding in place value and the 4 mathematical operations. Children are then expected to apply these skills across the curriculum to demonstrate mastery of Mathematics.
Each academic year we run sessions for parents about how we teach mathematics. These always receive positive feedback and comments about how different it is to when parents were in school!
The documents below outline the key learning in mathematics for Year 1 and Year 2. If you would like further information about mathematics at any point in the year please do not hesitate to speak to your child's class teacher.
We use Numicon to support mathematical understanding and reasoning right from Nursery through to Year 2. Numicon is a multi-sensory approach, built on a proven pedagogy that raises achievement across all mathematics ability levels. With problem-solving, reasoning and conversation at its heart, Numicon perfectly embodies the aims of the Primary National Curriculum 2014 for mathematics as it:
- Develops fluency by using a visual, practical base to develop conceptual understanding and fluent recall.
- Helps children to reason mathematically through the use of concrete objects and spoken language to explain and justify.
- Develops children in to confident problem solvers